Monday, December 8, 2014

Plant Eco-physiology Lab - Loyola University New Orleans

Plant Eco-physiology Lab
Hey Everybody,
               My name is Talita and I’m one of the exchange students at Loyola University. My field of interesting is botanic and here I had an opportunity to join Dr. Paul Barnes laboratory which I’ve been enjoying so much because of the topic of study related with environmental changes and the new lab experiences that I’m going through.
               In this lab, I’m studying about epidermal UV transmittance in Arabidopsis thaliana. For my study, I grew up 40 plants in the chamber with best and controlled conditions for the plants (temperature, humidity and light) and in addition, during the growth they were not exposure to UV radiations. After one month and a half, when the plants got an ideal development, I exposed them to five different treatments and started measuring the UV transmittance by an instrument known as UV-A-PAM. It’s a non-invasive technique which takes measurements of epidermal UV transmittance on intact leaves and it provides these indirect estimates of epidermal UV-A transmittance by measuring the fluorescence yield of chlorophyll induced by UV-A and blue radiation.  
               The treatments were chamber, greenhouse, shade, plastic film protector and open environment, show in the pictures below. The goal of these treatment was to understand better Arabidopsis’ acclimation in different environments and their UV transmittance. We had an expected results about their patterns of UV transmittance and now, in the next semester, I’m going to do the same experiments but with Arabidopsis mutants of UVR8.

Green house

Open environment; Plastic film Protector; Shade

Chamber

This post is open to comments and discussions.

Thank you!!
If you’re interested about more researches that we have at Loyola University, check out some recent research and projects here - http://chn.loyno.edu/biology/research



No comments:

Post a Comment